Dumke

Common Problems and Solutions

Common Problems and Solutions

vcruntime_140.dll, vsruntime_140.dll , msvcp100.dll is missing:

https://aka.ms/vs/16/release/vc_redist.x64.exe

Launcher stopped working, Launcher crashing after opening, Universe Revelations is unable to start:

https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet-framework/thank-you/net472-web-installer

I have Windows 7, Windows 8 and the above download didn't solve my issue!?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48130

DX3D9.dll or DX3D9_27.dll is missing: 
https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/download/details.aspx?id=35

I have .NET CORE error (Install the X86 version):  

https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet-core/current/runtime

My client is missing, or my anti virus is deleting it:

PLEASE DO NOT TURN OFF REAL TIME PROTECTION.

If you Anti-Virus isn't listed here, just use your search engine of choice "name of anti virus + folder exclusion"

If you have the game saved to your desktop make sure the path to folder when you open it isn't 

C:/Users/username/OneDrive/Desktop/DBOUR

If OneDrive is anywhere in the path, you won't be able to patch/play.

I have Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 and my game doesn't start!

https://i.imgur.com/R1RAXPH.mp4

The text on my game is extremely large!?

https://i.imgur.com/EwUxlqM.mp4

I keep getting disconnected and I'm not using a VPN!

This might be a DNS routing issue because of your Internet service provider,  this can be resolved by following these steps:

image.png

If you find this too complicated, you can find a video along with these steps at the bottom of this website.
https://1.1.1.1/dns/

client.exe still being deleted even though it is allowed through firewall

Hello, I just tried to download the game but it came without the client.exe FILE, how can i fix this ? 

• Like 1

hello I get an error when trying to install the patch

1.jpg

Can someone tell me how I install the last patch or pass the link to the post where they explain it

ty

1 hour ago, MasterBuffer said:

hello I get an error when trying to install the patch

Can someone tell me how I install the last patch or pass the link to the post where they explain it

ty

Have you installed all three programs listed at the top?

@ Dumke  I'm having trouble updating the client, I've just downloaded the game and extracted it, and followed all of your steps I've had everything already installed so I'm not really sure what to do next maybe the uploaded client is outdated and it can't update or something I don't really know i'm no expert,  I would personally appreciate it if you can at least link me the patch

08z4PJB.png

Edited by UncleDrew

33 minutes ago, UncleDrew said:

@ Dumke  I'm having trouble updating the client, I've just downloaded the game and extracted it, and followed all of your steps I've had everything already installed so I'm not really sure what to do next maybe the uploaded client is outdated and it can't update or something I don't really know i'm no expert,  I would personally appreciate it if you can at least link me the patch

well first, silly question, have you tried running the launcher as administrator? 

2 minutes ago, Dumke said:

well first, silly question, have you tried running the launcher as administrator? 

Yes, sadly that was the first thing I've tried also tried changing the compatibility but I'm still getting that error message

Edited by UncleDrew

Now I randomly tried it and it was working, I guess I might have issues on my end or the remote server I'm downloading the updates from 
I've got the same error again after a minute or two of downloading the updates when it's close to being completed, but after relaucnhing the launcher it seems like it's downloading again but I can't seem to get the updates completed because when I relaunch it, it's starting over I really need help on what you think I should do or maybe upload a client for me which is updated already or a patch

DnPJJQL.png

bhMqidL.png

Edited by UncleDrew

@ UncleDrew This happens because your antivirus is removing and quarantining the Client.exe during patching

@ Dumke  I got the same error due to this^

I know we can fix it by allowing the Client executable in our anti-virus, but I was wondering why are there so many detections by Win Defender in the first place?

Additionally, why is running as administrator required? Surely if the game is placed outside Program Files there shouldn't be any need for this kind of privilege by the launcher or client?

I know @ SanGawku  made a post to VirusTotal of the Client executable, but could we please get some transparency on this one?

I mean we are trusting you guys of course, but we are allowing all incoming traffic from the executables in our firewall, and running as admin whilst Win Def is giving out severe trojan warnings, just feels a bit uneasy...

There's now 2 different trojans that get detected by Win Defender:

Sg4IY5F.png

mMZD4kH.png

UswBIXM.png

These are non specific detections, we're not entirely sure why this has happened, but they're entirely false positives.

In of our tests to see what it was having an issue with, one of the flagged issues was that it was originally "Korean" and now it's "English" locale, so that was obviously not it, Another was that we have outbound links, which you know we need. So it would seem that some AI has flagged it, and will probably keep flagging it and short of contacting Microsoft themselves, and delaying each patch by a week or more, to make sure the client is checked and cleared if they'll even do that, we're not having the best of times, considering this is being complied by software from Microsoft.

As for running by administrator? Well Windows 10 is has very complicated read/write rules in the user protected folders (C:/Users/username/) and considering the other issues, It will generally solve most issues, unless something has been deleted.

I am having same issues with the client when im trying to launch the game.

Edited by Kalpona

7 hours ago, Dumke said:

These are non specific detections, we're not entirely sure why this has happened, but they're entirely false positives.

In of our tests to see what it was having an issue with, one of the flagged issues was that it was originally "Korean" and now it's "English" locale, so that was obviously not it, Another was that we have outbound links, which you know we need. So it would seem that some AI has flagged it, and will probably keep flagging it and short of contacting Microsoft themselves, and delaying each patch by a week or more, to make sure the client is checked and cleared if they'll even do that, we're not having the best of times, considering this is being complied by software from Microsoft.

As for running by administrator? Well Windows 10 is has very complicated read/write rules in the user protected folders (C:/Users/username/) and considering the other issues, It will generally solve most issues, unless something has been deleted.

@ Dumke  Thanks for your quick reply man, as always!

I am curious as to what code triggers the malware detection in this case. Maybe a good place to start checking would be the way you direct the DBO client to the emulated server. Also, perhaps the patcher itself?

Even then though why would Windows Defender be detecting this as malware? I guess the exceptions raised in @ UncleDrew 's and mine's patchers are caused by functions that live in a DLL that the client executable can call? Or does this all happen in the client executable?

From the way I see it, it's probably a case where you have unsigned code that you utilise to connect the client with your server, which effectively is called by either the client executable from a DLL or by the executable itself to fetch data remotely and attempts to makes changes to files. Best guess is that Win Def doesn't like this and raises a flag.

But all Win Def is doing is 1) hash check on your code against a massive database and potentially getting a match that relates it to malware or 2) spot a function that is getting injected on execution (on unsigned software) that is changing things and/or fetching data remotely and attempting to make changes to files.

I understand you guys are busy with stability patches for the server etc. but I think it's vital to have a straight answer with regards to this.

I really respect you for the crazy work you have clearly put in this over the years and for allowing people to enjoy a game we all cherish for free.

As this project is closed source (and I understand that, it's your project, your hours and hard work), it would be great if we could get a detailed explanation on this whole thing. It would give me a lot more comfort to enjoy the game.

Let me know 🙂

Thanks a lot!

8 hours ago, Bifteki said:

@ Dumke  Thanks for your quick reply man, as always!

I am curious as to what code triggers the malware detection in this case. Maybe a good place to start checking would be the way you direct the DBO client to the emulated server. Also, perhaps the patcher itself?

Even then though why would Windows Defender be detecting this as malware? I guess the exceptions raised in @ UncleDrew 's and mine's patchers are caused by functions that live in a DLL that the client executable can call? Or does this all happen in the client executable?

From the way I see it, it's probably a case where you have unsigned code that you utilise to connect the client with your server, which effectively is called by either the client executable from a DLL or by the executable itself to fetch data remotely and attempts to makes changes to files. Best guess is that Win Def doesn't like this and raises a flag.

But all Win Def is doing is 1) hash check on your code against a massive database and potentially getting a match that relates it to malware or 2) spot a function that is getting injected on execution (on unsigned software) that is changing things and/or fetching data remotely and attempting to make changes to files.

I understand you guys are busy with stability patches for the server etc. but I think it's vital to have a straight answer with regards to this.

I really respect you for the crazy work you have clearly put in this over the years and for allowing people to enjoy a game we all cherish for free.

As this project is closed source (and I understand that, it's your project, your hours and hard work), it would be great if we could get a detailed explanation on this whole thing. It would give me a lot more comfort to enjoy the game.

Let me know 🙂

Thanks a lot!

So i believe it is either related to my anti-cheat dll(That is currently disabled, but it has references to it in the code) 

or it is because of bugtrap.dll Since im using #pragma include (bugtrap.dll) 

and bugtrap isn't signed. The first instance of it being flagged was when i reenabled bugtrap after i had disabled it for some time. 

Every version i submit to microsoft they unflag. Its just having to send every version to microsoft to not flag it is annoying 

especially because i have to wait for it to be flagged the first time, before i can submit it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SanGawku said:

So i believe it is either related to my anti-cheat dll(That is currently disabled, but it has references to it in the code) 

or it is because of bugtrap.dll Since im using #pragma include (bugtrap.dll) 

and bugtrap isn't signed. The first instance of it being flagged was when i reenabled bugtrap after i had disabled it for some time. 

Every version i submit to microsoft they unflag. Its just having to send every version to microsoft to not flag it is annoying 

especially because i have to wait for it to be flagged the first time, before i can submit it. 

Hey man, thanks for that explanation.

This makes a lot of sense.

I guess this is the perfect false positive since BugTrap attempts to collect a memory dump, overriding the default Windows handler. Then I imagine it attempts to send the data to you, and you define where and how that data should travel. I guess you've set up a server for it and define that in the code? Or maybe it supports email or something.

So since your code is unsigned, Win Def does a good job of marking this as seemingly malicious (even if it's a false positive in this case).

Would it be possible to upload a release with BugTrap disabled to see if my Win Def will detect this as malware?

Would be great - thanks a lot again, man 🙂 

Edited by Bifteki
Typo

13 hours ago, Bifteki said:

Hey man, thanks for that explanation.

This makes a lot of sense.

I guess this is the perfect false positive since BugTrap attempts to collect a memory dump, overriding the default Windows handler. Then I imagine it attempts to send the data to you, and you define where and how that data should travel. I guess you've set up a server for it and define that in the code? Or maybe it supports email or something.

So since your code is unsigned, Win Def does a good job of marking this as seemingly malicious (even if it's a false positive in this case).

Would it be possible to upload a release with BugTrap disabled to see if my Win Def will detect this as malware?

Would be great - thanks a lot again, man 🙂 

I can give it a try. It will make the next release semi useless for fixing crashes. But if that helps get rid of the false positive. In the next patch ill remove it to give it a try. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SanGawku said:

I can give it a try. It will make the next release semi useless for fixing crashes. But if that helps get rid of the false positive. In the next patch ill remove it to give it a try. 

@ SanGawku  Amazing man - this is great, thanks.

I think there's huge value add here, so not at all useless:

1) Establish trust for new players

2) Solving all forum posts and issues caused by key files getting quarantined, which theoretically will save you time and future troubleshooting with users

3) Security - In the worst and scary scenario where there's a leak/hack and someone pushes malicious code via your patcher without you knowing/controlling it. Currently everyone is allowing the entire directory in their anti-virus and has given admin privileges to the executables, so they're defenseless. If there's no false positive, there's no need to add ignore rules to the anti-virus in the first place, which is ideal.

Looking forward to this! 🙂 

4 hours ago, Bifteki said:

3) Security - In the worst and scary scenario where there's a leak/hack and someone pushes malicious code via your patcher without you knowing/controlling it. Currently everyone is allowing the entire directory in their anti-virus and has given admin privileges to the executables, so they're defenseless. If there's no false positive, there's no need to add ignore rules to the anti-virus in the first place, which is ideal.

That's also why I specifically said not to disable real-time protection in the header of the post, in the worst case you say, if it interacts with anything outside of the folder in a malicious manner, It'd still be flagged.

But generally, you were most often than not required to run the original dbo.exe with administrative privileges, which is an issue, but if it's installed anywhere but the root of C:/ or an secondary drive, it might have read/write issues due to the nature of all the folders in use for Windows 10.

9 hours ago, Bifteki said:

@ SanGawku  Amazing man - this is great, thanks.

I think there's huge value add here, so not at all useless:

1) Establish trust for new players

2) Solving all forum posts and issues caused by key files getting quarantined, which theoretically will save you time and future troubleshooting with users

I only mean useless for crash reporting in the meantime. If it ends up being because of bugtrap i will see if i can't get away with compiling it into the exe statically. 

5 hours ago, Dumke said:

That's also why I specifically said not to disable real-time protection in the header of the post, in the worst case you say, if it interacts with anything outside of the folder in a malicious manner, It'd still be flagged.

But generally, you were most often than not required to run the original dbo.exe with administrative privileges, which is an issue, but if it's installed anywhere but the root of C:/ or an secondary drive, it might have read/write issues due to the nature of all the folders in use for Windows 10.

@ Dumke  I get what you're saying on one hand and that may apply to some cases, but on the other you're still not protected in the scenario I mentioned. For example, all a spyware infection needs is to not be flagged by the anti-virus at the point of contamination and ran with the relevant privileges. Same goes for other types of malware, so ideally you want to have an anti-virus be actively checking a dynamic file that can update remotely.

16 minutes ago, SanGawku said:

I only mean useless for crash reporting in the meantime. If it ends up being because of bugtrap i will see if i can't get away with compiling it into the exe statically. 

@ SanGawku  OK I see, fair. Though, it will be really interesting to see if it will now pass as clean by Win Def. Great first step.

Thanks a lot guys, really looking forward to testing! 😃

i keep getin an error 0x000007b and idk how to fix it i miss playing i tried a loot of stuff but noting whorks please help

Hola, cómo están? Quería comentarles que no me deja descargar el juego por mediafire ni por google drive. El único lugar que me deja es por Mega, pero ahí me pide que pague una cierta cantidad de plata para poder continuar la descarga. A lo que voy es que necesito que arreglen los otros links, así puedo descargar el juego y seguir jugandolo.
PD: Brian.