ExaltedGeico

Is Multi-clienting a positive thing?

I liked to use multi clients, getting afk tokens, buffing my own chars, and pleveling myself. I don't wanna people running a lot of clients in one pc, and getting token benefit from it. Its easy +10-12 gear in 55 cap. It's fair ? No, I don't think so. But some of us gonna use few laptops to afk like that and getting that benefit tho. (I don't know if token shop will work the same way tho)

Besides Botting won't help that much, bots just let some people get +15 gear at cap 70 (or 60). That's fine with you ? When some farm on themselves few hours straight, and aren't getting good drops, nor getting good effects on gear while crafting. Not everyone is that lucky.
I would rather see economy growing slower, than bots around me.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GoldenDarkness said:

I liked to use multi clients, getting afk tokens, buffing my own chars, and pleveling myself. I don't wanna people running a lot of clients in one pc, and getting token benefit from it. Its easy +10-12 gear in 55 cap. It's fair ? No, I don't think so. But some of us gonna use few laptops to afk like that and getting that benefit tho. (I don't know if token shop will work the same way tho)

Besides Botting won't help that much, bots just let some people get +15 gear at cap 70 (or 60). That's fine with you ? When some farm on themselves few hours straight, and aren't getting good drops, nor getting good effects on gear while crafting. Not everyone is that lucky.
I would rather see economy growing slower, than bots around me.

Well, everyone has their opinion on matters concerning the game-- but the point of this thread is to discuss whether or not multi-clienting is good for the game, not "do you like Multi-clienting or not." My main argument never had anything to do with botting helping the game, it was more so to point on the pros to botting to combat the cons that Tempest brought up.

Generally, people who actually farmed for their gear-- spent a lot more time farming than just a couple of hours. I was actually one of the unlucky ones when farming. I endured a lot as a f2p to get two sets of plus 12-14 gear in OB. I farmed for about a month straight, 2-10 hours a day. And this doesn't include the amount of crap I had to go through leveling my alternate accounts to where I COULD maximize my farming efficiency. Botting your way to plus 15 really didn't effect OB as much as you think it did-- back in PoB, the reason why there were so many players with plus 15 was due to a duplication bug, hence why there wasn't nearly as many in OB that were obtained via cheating. 

• Like 1

Multi-clienting is a reality that already happened back on the official servers. However, such was in a very... limited environment through the use of third-party software that usually had a limit on the number of clients you could host on your machine. So, the experience was definitely not one too common to the general public and possibly, even Chinese people didn't nearly go as far as they did on that private server.

However, let's take a closer look at what actually happens when we allow multi-clients.

• No need to seek the aid of any kind from other players; aka. Buffers, Healers and etc.
  • Lack of cohesion between the community and individual player.
  • Progression curve running steeper, for the cheaters.
  • Abuse of the features and systems offered and meant to the players for individual use (nearly anything your character gets and can trade to their main— this was done with the gift box back on the private server, allowing people to give themselves the equivalent of seven gift boxes).
  • Ever-flattening experience.

So, in a few words: multi-clients annihilate everything that an MMORPG is supposed to be. Remember we're talking about a Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game where you are supposed to interact and play with the other players. You can try and take on your own as many things and content as you want, but that's up to your risk. There is no sense in it being a multiplayer game if you're just going to connect your five other characters and spam a whole dungeon yourself. If that's the experience sought, then any other party-based role-playing game might definitely suit said individual better rather than an actual MMORPG.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MaestroSaiyan said:

However, let's take a closer look at what actually happens when we allow multi-clients.

• No need to seek the aid of any kind from other players; aka. Buffers, Healers and etc.
  • Lack of cohesion between the community and individual player.
  • Progression curve running steeper, for the cheaters.
  • Abuse of the features and systems offered and meant to the players for individual use (nearly anything your character gets and can trade to their main— this was done with the gift box back on the private server, allowing people to give themselves the equivalent of seven gift boxes).
  • Ever-flattening experience.

So, in a few words: multi-clients annihilate everything that an MMORPG is supposed to be. Remember we're talking about a Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game where you are supposed to interact and play with the other players. You can try and take on your own as many things and content as you want, but that's up to your risk. There is no sense in it being a multiplayer game if you're just going to connect your five other characters and spam a whole dungeon yourself. If that's the experience sought, then any other party-based role-playing game might definitely suit said individual better rather than an actual MMORPG.

That isn't true at all, multi-client doesn't remove the necessity of other players helping you in DBO. You'd be assuming that everyone or at least the vast majority would create 5 accounts with at least one character capped out with good gear-- which by the way, a lot of people struggled to muster up the effort to cap one character, let alone get good gear on said character, and actually move on to gearing up their alternate accounts. Some managed to make 3 accounts in total, but only the small minority of try hards, myself included, actually managed to level up and gear up 3-5 accounts worth of players. The ones who were proficient with their usage of multi-clienting at best solo'd the world boss or up until CC50. 

In addition to the fact that only a small minority used this feature to it's fullest potential-- players like us still formed parties with other players for TMQ, UD, and CC. Of course, not all multi-clienters formed parties when spamming TMQ/UD, however, I'd imagine if any of them wanted good gear out of CC, they'd spam it with a strong party. 

Despite the dozens, if not hundreds of players multi-clienting-- only a handful, if any, actually solo'd some of the harder dungeons-- and on CC no one managed to get past floor 50 on their own. Even the players who COULD solo CC50, didn't like to spam it alone-- because it can be stressful managing 5 different accounts, trying to get them in the right position at the right time, dealing with the minions, healing, getting the boss' attention and so forth. If anyone did manage to beat floor 55 on their own, they most certainly did not finish CC up to floor 100, as it's nigh impossible to accomplish on your own. Not only would you get an entire squad worth of plus 11-15 accounts, but you'd need the skill to manage all of them at the same time-- and you'd need at least 2 computers to distract the horde of minions, while the other 4 characters damaged the boss, tanked the damage, and healed the tank. 

So the idea that multi-clienting destroys the fabric of what an MMORPG is supposed to be, is just outright ludicrous. It's simply not true. People will almost always try to form parties with others when dealing with endgame content, despite multi-clienting-- and multi-clienting is not cheating. Everything you obtain via multi-clienting is legitimate, you still spend hours upon hours farming for your armor, yourself mind you, not bots. 

3 hours ago, MaestroSaiyan said:

This can very easily be worked around by making gift box items untradeable; no need to remove multi-clienting for that reason. I don't know why you would bring that up as an even remotely valid point against multi-clienting. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, ExaltedGeico said:

That isn't true at all, multi-client doesn't remove the necessity of other players helping you in DBO. You'd be assuming that everyone or at least the vast majority would create 5 accounts with at least one character capped out with good gear-- which by the way, a lot of people struggled to muster up the effort to cap one character, let alone get good gear on said character, and actually move on to gearing up their alternate accounts. Some managed to make 3 accounts in total, but only the small minority of try hards, myself included, actually managed to level up and gear up 3-5 accounts worth of players. The ones who were proficient with their usage of multi-clienting at best solo'd the world boss or up until CC50. 

Again, though, you're turning a game that should go off your own pace into something that can be bested only by try hards. Honestly, all you needed to do was basically level up a character that could nuke large pile of mobs as your first character and just farm for yourself and also your other characters. And again, you're just proving all of my points with that last statement: there should be no such thing as solo-ing the world boss or CC50 on your own. They're supposed to be party activities, and using multi-clients like that, is basically killing part of the game.

In addition to the fact that only a small minority used this feature to it's fullest potential-- players like us still formed parties with other players for TMQ, UD, and CC. Of course, not all multi-clienters formed parties when spamming TMQ/UD, however, I'd imagine if any of them wanted good gear out of CC, they'd spam it with a strong party. 

I could confirm for the official servers, but not the private one. Everyone used multi-clients on the private server. I know because I have been there myself. I have been into guilds and there were people with characters like: CharacterName, CharacterNameTwo, CharacterNameThree. Honestly? Everyone did it. Nobody even asked for buffs or heals anymore at some point. Maybe at the beginning of the game, yes. After a while, they just had their own alts. I literally have the mental image of people logging their alt to stand still on Papaya, at the hotel, where all the zombies would be located, while buffing themselves before nuking the whole map. That's not even fair to people who are trying to grind and have no alts, because you're literally tanking the whole territory thanks to those buffs you've just given yourself. That's not how you keep an MMORPG alive.

Despite the dozens, if not hundreds of players multi-clienting-- only a handful, if any, actually solo'd some of the harder dungeons-- and on CC no one managed to get past floor 50 on their own. Even the players who COULD solo CC50, didn't like to spam it alone-- because it can be stressful managing 5 different accounts, trying to get them in the right position at the right time, dealing with the minions, healing, getting the boss' attention and so forth. If anyone did manage to beat floor 55 on their own, they most certainly did not finish CC up to floor 100, as it's nigh impossible to accomplish on your own. Not only would you get an entire squad worth of plus 11-15 accounts, but you'd need the skill to manage all of them at the same time-- and you'd need at least 2 computers to distract the horde of minions, while the other 4 characters damaged the boss, tanked the damage, and healed the tank. 

Again, you're actually also confirming my beliefs here. Nobody here should be privileged and able to do something the others can't do. Even because, honestly, if they can't, they will eventually learn or just quit the game.

So the idea that multi-clienting destroys the fabric of what an MMORPG is supposed to be, is just outright ludicrous. It's simply not true. People will almost always try to form parties with others when dealing with endgame content, despite multi-clienting-- and multi-clienting is not cheating. Everything you obtain via multi-clienting is legitimate, you still spend hours upon hours farming for your armor, yourself mind you, not bots. 

Yet, you've confirmed all of my points in your post. Whether or not everyone would be able to do this, is basically irrelevant. Because you just need to look up anyone's opinion on the Chinese people that did that and they'll tell you: that's outright stupid. Because it is. What does this generate? It's a feeling of uneasiness that eventually makes you question: should I even keep playing this game? There are people who are able to do what I am trying to do, but 220% times better. I tell you what Global was like, by the middle-end of it; an empty mess of nobody.

Dungeons were only played by guilds who simply remained closed to themselves with those few active that raided it with their alted buffer/healer/damage dealer and therefore, no matter who you were, if you weren't lucky and your own guild wasn't all active (which is a very important consideration, especially for those who have actual schedules), chances are you wouldn't find anybody to take you to a party and spam dungeons. Why? Because everyone already had the other roles filled with their alts.

And it's not a reality that was uncommon. I've lived it myself. People told me to go and make an alt. I did. I brought it to level 30 in one day and then quit the game. Why? Because I didn't want to level up a whole new character to do something I should have already been able to do with my own; hell, how's multi-client supposed to be fun when it takes the multi away from the Multiplayer word?

And I will repeat, this is not even a DBO-only fact. This also works out for other MMOs that have now been emulated, such as Star Wars Galaxies. Nowadays, there's about no social interaction— or rather, not nearly as much as it used to back in the original days. Why? Because now you can multi-client on most private servers. Anything you need to make, you just make another character and afk grind it while you do something else. 

It's literally the same thing here.

Multi-clients are an MMO-killer, no matter how hard you try to defend them. They should stay off-limits. Let people group up and need each other to do content. That's the fun of an MMORPG in the first place.

This can very easily be worked around by making gift box items untradeable; no need to remove multi-clienting for that reason. I don't know why you would bring that up as an even remotely valid point against multi-clienting. 

Just an example. If not gift boxes, people will find something else to abuse while using multi-clients.

Edited by MaestroSaiyan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well, lemme just start by stating that I didn't say a single thing that has proven your point. If you're going to make those sort of claims, extrapolate on why you're right. Simply saying I proved your point, without demonstrating that I did means nothing. This is why I wanted us to discuss this on Discord. You wouldn't have to waste your time and energy restating something while adding your reasoning if I could just point that out as you were making your arguments. 

Multi-clienters aren't really privileged. Multi-clienting isn't a privilege, period-- you invest time and energy into gearing and leveling up those accounts, none of that has anything to do with being privileged; you're not handed those characters and their gear/level. I'm not going to bother arguing against whether or not people should beg for buffs in open world or not-- since that's very subjective. I could spam bibles upon bibles for why I disagree with your notion, but you wouldn't be convinced. I'd argue because multi-clienters worked for their 2-5 accounts that it would be fair to have a more efficient farming method. If they had the option to multi-client, but didn't, that's entirely on them for being inefficient at farming. 

Sure, you could argue that CC50, and some of the lesser dungeons are supposed to be party dungeons-- but I don't see why people shouldn't be allowed to solo them. If you had powerful enough gear back in TW, you could pretty much fodderize the first 20-30 floors or so with relative ease, it would just be time consuming. You could also argue that needing 5 different people spamming some of the harder dungeons would take away the opportunity of doing said dungeons with members who have a tight schedule. But having to wait an entire hour, if not longer, for a player with a strong Dende or Poko to join your party can kill the game for you-- especially if they join your party, you make a single mistake -> die, and they leave your party. Multi-clienting fixes that because you could use different classes to fill the spot of a rare classes like Dende/Poko-- mind you, these are just examples, it can be ANY class. 

My goal's not to negate your experiences with private servers that allow multi-clienting-- but that was hardly an issue in DBOG, for most people during the time that I played DBOG. It differs per community really. But that was hardly an issue until the population of the game started decreasing. That's when people stopped forming parties with other players for UD, and TMQ-- because they'd get tired of waiting a long time for another person to go with them, when it'd be quicker if they just did it by themselves. 

14 hours ago, ExaltedGeico said:

Multi-clienters aren't really privileged. Multi-clienting isn't a privilege, period-- you invest time and energy into gearing and leveling up those accounts, none of that has anything to do with being privileged; you're not handed those characters and their gear/level. I'm not going to bother arguing against whether or not people should beg for buffs in open world or not-- since that's very subjective. I could spam bibles upon bibles for why I disagree with your notion, but you wouldn't be convinced. I'd argue because multi-clienters worked for their 2-5 accounts that it would be fair to have a more efficient farming method. If they had the option to multi-client, but didn't, that's entirely on them for being inefficient at farming.

It is a privilege. Because not everybody has the free time to play that much and waste all of their energies on a multiplayer game. When you offer content, it's true that it must be worked hard for— but there is a line. Also, it's also a technical privilege. Not all computers can withstand five clients at once. Honestly? Nobody is going to buy a whole new machine just to be the best at this game.

Sure, you could argue that CC50, and some of the lesser dungeons are supposed to be party dungeons-- but I don't see why people shouldn't be allowed to solo them. If you had powerful enough gear back in TW, you could pretty much fodderize the first 20-30 floors or so with relative ease, it would just be time consuming. You could also argue that needing 5 different people spamming some of the harder dungeons would take away the opportunity of doing said dungeons with members who have a tight schedule. But having to wait an entire hour, if not longer, for a player with a strong Dende or Poko to join your party can kill the game for you-- especially if they join your party, you make a single mistake -> die, and they leave your party. Multi-clienting fixes that because you could use different classes to fill the spot of a rare classes like Dende/Poko-- mind you, these are just examples, it can be ANY class. 

That's just the nature of what an MMORPG is like. You said it; they are party dungeons. They are supposed to be rallied together with friends or other people you meet; even toxic people are a part of that and must be dealt with accordingly. If your Dende quits, just find another. It is that simple. While with multi-client, people will just lock themselves to dungeons and completely destroy the experience for those who don't have alts because they won't be able to find a Dende/Poko or whatever. That is why I say all you are arguing is simply proving my point. The more you speak of this, the more you can find any and all of your multi-client remarks match the issues I've listed in my first and second post.

My goal's not to negate your experiences with private servers that allow multi-clienting-- but that was hardly an issue in DBOG, for most people during the time that I played DBOG. It differs per community really. But that was hardly an issue until the population of the game started decreasing. That's when people stopped forming parties with other players for UD, and TMQ-- because they'd get tired of waiting a long time for another person to go with them, when it'd be quicker if they just did it by themselves. 

And that's what killed the game. If there weren't multi-clients, people would have been able to arrange themselves and find somebody else to party with... while, with the way bots and alts had now become radical, it became a rush to who would loot that item without the need of sharing with any teammate.

In a few words; multi-clients will never be a thing here and shouldn't. This topic itself is quite useless. The staff has made their point and won't turn back on it.

We are here to play an MMORPG. If we wanted multi-clients and solo content, we'd just be out to play Buu's Fury on the GBA. Because that's what it is— an RPG.

• Like 3

No, having more time isn't a matter of privilege-- it's circumstance. And besides, people who don't have that kind of time probably wouldn't be able to compete very well, regardless if it's single client only. Argument from not having the time to invest into RPG to say Multi-clienting is bad doesn't really work-- RPGs are meant to be time consuming, and they almost always will be and are. If you don't have a computer that handle 5 clients, then use 3 clients. If more than 1 client is too much for you to handle-- tough luck, you make up a small portion of the community. At that point, it'd definitely wouldn't be a matter of privilege-- just an unfortunate circumstance, really. 

Finding another skilled and geared player for a set class isn't exactly simple. There either is a geared skilled player of that class, or there isn't-- I don't see the point in having to go out of your way and wait who knows how long for a player that might never show up. You can try appealing to the genre of the game, but it doesn't even work in this scenario-- if you use 2 clients, one for your main, and another for that missing class-- there'd be 4 different people in total in that party, so it'd still fit within the purpose of that dungeon. So the idea that my points are only supporting your side of the argument is just inherently false. Even if there were only 2 different people in that party-- it'd still fit within the whole multi-player condition that you're trying to set for all dungeon related parties. Well, what about the players who don't have enough alts to fit all the classes in their party? Tough luck, just find a dende, right? Should be simple enough, if we're going by your argument. Although, I'd definitely recommend making alts for unpopular but viable speed party classes-- it'd save you lots of time and energy spamming chat. Don't bother trying to argue players soloing CC50 or lower with a single man army-- that's a moot and weak argument to make, especially since most of those who do solo it-- solo it for the accomplishment of having done the allegedly 'impossible.' They most likely wouldn't spam it continuously on their own, and if they need to spam it-- would spam with people that they know, or strangers via LFP chat. 

Killed what game? If you mean DBOG, that's false. DBOG is very much alive, it had over 70 pages worth of users trying to get into their testing server on their Forum. Daneos fixes bugs on a daily basis, and so forth. I definitely don't disagree with the notion that bots have damaged DBOG to whatever extent that they have-- but they've had their positives, like buffing the economy's zeni. Sure, most of us are here to play a multi-player RPG-- and that's what we'd do even with multi-clienting; it's what we did in DBOG. Of course, a lot of players have quit DBOG since the start of Open Beta; however, there were a multitude of reasons behind players quitting, botting was most certainly not the main reason. 

20 hours ago, ExaltedGeico said:

No, having more time isn't a matter of privilege-- it's circumstance. And besides, people who don't have that kind of time probably wouldn't be able to compete very well, regardless if it's single client only. Argument from not having the time to invest into RPG to say Multi-clienting is bad doesn't really work-- RPGs are meant to be time consuming, and they almost always will be and are. If you don't have a computer that handle 5 clients, then use 3 clients. If more than 1 client is too much for you to handle-- tough luck, you make up a small portion of the community. At that point, it'd definitely wouldn't be a matter of privilege-- just an unfortunate circumstance, really. 

Finding another skilled and geared player for a set class isn't exactly simple. There either is a geared skilled player of that class, or there isn't-- I don't see the point in having to go out of your way and wait who knows how long for a player that might never show up. You can try appealing to the genre of the game, but it doesn't even work in this scenario-- if you use 2 clients, one for your main, and another for that missing class-- there'd be 4 different people in total in that party, so it'd still fit within the purpose of that dungeon. So the idea that my points are only supporting your side of the argument is just inherently false. Even if there were only 2 different people in that party-- it'd still fit within the whole multi-player condition that you're trying to set for all dungeon related parties. Well, what about the players who don't have enough alts to fit all the classes in their party? Tough luck, just find a dende, right? Should be simple enough, if we're going by your argument. Although, I'd definitely recommend making alts for unpopular but viable speed party classes-- it'd save you lots of time and energy spamming chat. Don't bother trying to argue players soloing CC50 or lower with a single man army-- that's a moot and weak argument to make, especially since most of those who do solo it-- solo it for the accomplishment of having done the allegedly 'impossible.' They most likely wouldn't spam it continuously on their own, and if they need to spam it-- would spam with people that they know, or strangers via LFP chat. 

Killed what game? If you mean DBOG, that's false. DBOG is very much alive, it had over 70 pages worth of users trying to get into their testing server on their Forum. Daneos fixes bugs on a daily basis, and so forth. I definitely don't disagree with the notion that bots have damaged DBOG to whatever extent that they have-- but they've had their positives, like buffing the economy's zeni. Sure, most of us are here to play a multi-player RPG-- and that's what we'd do even with multi-clienting; it's what we did in DBOG. Of course, a lot of players have quit DBOG since the start of Open Beta; however, there were a multitude of reasons behind players quitting, botting was most certainly not the main reason. 

Long story short; I'd just repeat myself and I don't feel like replying to those conjectures. You reply way too subjectively to objective matters. So I'd rather close with: this topic itself is useless. Regardless, the majority agrees that bots and multi-clients DID kill DBOG. To each their own, though, right? However. Multi-clients will never be a thing here. And this is the last post here from my part.

Edited by MaestroSaiyan

7 hours ago, MaestroSaiyan said:

Long story short; I'd just repeat myself and I don't feel like replying to those conjectures. You reply way too subjectively to objective matters. So I'd rather close with: this topic itself is useless. Regardless, the majority agrees that bots and multi-clients DID kill DBOG. To each their own, though, right? However. Multi-clients will never be a thing here. And this is the last post here from my part.

I don't know where you got the notion that the majority agrees that bots killed DBOG-- but even if there was a poll conducted that'd suggest people believed that, they'd be false. The game's still alive, that's just an inherent fact. There's a plethora of players who desire/have played on the test server, as well as the actual server; the game's very much alive. 

Guest Tempest

This is the part where it's time for this thread to be locked. After silently sitting back and watching this thread unfold, it's become apparent that @ExaltedGeico can no longer be treated seriously.

Go spread your propaganda regarding that garbage project somewhere else. Propaganda regarding that project in any kind, is not allowed on this forum.

Thread locked and this time the decision is final.