Tofu

The Story Behind Your Name

So I made this thread back in DBOR and feel like I should do it here too. As the title says, it's a thread where everyone shares the story behind their usernames. Why, when and how did you pick or create that name? Just like last time, I'll wait till I hear a few stories before posting my own. Once I do, I'll also edit the first post to add it here.

And I know asking this won't stop people from doing it but don't go "I named myself Gohku because I like Goku and the name was taken." That's boring! Come up with some cool stuff!

Looking at you, @Bardock.

Mine doesn't have a good, nice story. It's just my favorite gold saint from Saint Seiya xD

2 hours ago, Dohko said:

Mine doesn't have a good, nice story. It's just my favorite gold saint from Saint Seiya xD

Aioros is my fave!! But hell yea Rozan Sho Ryu Haaaa

I don't remember if I wrote about it on the DBOR forums but here goes...

On vacations like... 2008? I first saw the movie Wild Wild West and just really liked Will Smith's character and his name, so I just started calling myself Mr. West on CS 1.6

From then on just used SonWest or WestSan on DBO.

Basically i went to a japanese vegetable randomizer, and then this turned up and i liked it. Turns out it's some kind of spicy spinach or something.

Well, my original username "Jackman" came about because of an irl nickname. I was also super into superheroes at the time, so I decided I'd like to imitate them by adding "man" to the end of my name. Eventually I wanted a new username, and as I was super into rocks and a show called Steven Universe (Which has declined significantly, but I'll get into that in a later post). Thus, after a bit of trial and error I eventually chose the name "Topaz" and it's stuck ever since.

I used this name for Garfield Online and Adventure quest back in 2003, fat fingered the K key and the rest is history.

16 minutes ago, Luke[Dumke] said:

I used this name for Garfield Online and Adventure quest back in 2003, fat fingered the K key and the rest is history.

Garfield Online was (or still is) a thing? You meant to name yourself Dume or Luke[Dume]?

3 hours ago, Tofu said:

Garfield Online was (or still is) a thing? You meant to name yourself Dumke or Luke[Dume]?

Yeah it was an Online Flash game back in the early 00's and I just include my actual name because some people might prefer that.

Years ago, I watched with my childhood friends movie, TOP GUN.

Now since I had the best friend who was fk-ing crazy as hell, we started to compare him to Tom Cruise aka Maverick.

Later on, since as kid I use to have a bit yellow hair, that turned into pure black now, he started to call me Iceman.

When we started to play PC games, CS 1.6 mostly, he beg me to use that nick, soo I started to use it, and since that times, even when we got our own CS1.6 server with help of adults, that turned into SAMP community later on, where with few other owners we switched CS1.6 server to SAMP one, I never changed my "gamer nick".

I typed there "gamer nick" since no one use that nick in my circle of friends in real life, unless "Maverick" who retired years ago, mention it just to remember the old days.

Edited by Iceman

Well my name was kinda under a alt char name before i made the char my main oof

tbh i don't remember well about how i made sure the name got made and such cause its been way to long since i made the class

Well let's start with short story

A IRL friend of mine told me to play this mmorpg with him -> Accepted at lvl 1-3 i felt like OP Saiyan went and fought lvl 7 Monkey's keept dying OOF (big noob back then)

-> after figure out how the quest system worked and such without the english patch i started to learn the game from scratch and from that day i played different classes had like 12 different account to keep grinding and such on from then -> decidet to make a class that my IRL friend have and called it KamiRamin -> back then i was into god names like Legendary and such oof big dreams! but yeah i figured out that Kami + Ramin fits perfect togheter for me so yeah ->

SK lvl 45 STOPPED -> Playing All other Classes (Get Bored) -> Meet TheReapers (StalkerEX & his brother) ->  get interested into PVP ->

Notices that i needed to become strong for PVP -> (back then Fighter & SK was mostly broken classes) Decidet to go back to my SK lvl it up to max lvl farm gear and such

-> be decent geared and such for pvp with trash hybrid build oof -> was able to get green book and sold it to make money -> been doing decent in pvp against few chinese that was into P2W -> earned 3rd place (Solo? Party? don't remember correctly) -> Camping in plat 24-7 -> make my name keept rising slowly

to the enemies -> after few weeks before the shutdown the plat war ended and all players who supposed to be our enemies decide to give up...

Had few weeks on me to spend my time on the game and ended up lvling a turtle to lvl 62 beaten lvl 60 sk outside kokkara village!

before the shut down i gave up on the last day and started to play DMO and quit 2 weeks after then went to tera oof after that i don't remember what happend

Basically my name been made from DBO TW Server 1 so say my first mmorpg back then where i used mini laptop to play until i bought a laptop just to play it oof back those days it's been hard to play with laptop at least now i got a ok pc that should handle all the games for now...

I really honestly hate my old name, as it's just a fusion between Latias, one of my personal favorite Pokemon and Kirby. I've sorta regretted having since back in DBOR, due to it's unoriginal basis. Since then though, I've slowly morphed it into my own thing, simply going by "Lati" and forging a more unique identity. But I can't say the old name isn't nostalgic after having it for a good 4 years or so.

1 hour ago, Latias Kirby said:

I really honestly hate my old name, as it's just a fusion between Latias, one of my personal favorite Pokemon and Kirby. I've sorta regretted having since back in DBOR, due to it's unoriginal basis. Since then though, I've slowly morphed it into my own thing, simply going by "Lati" and forging a more unique identity. But I can't say the old name isn't nostalgic after having it for a good 4 years or so.

I can totally relate to that. I've used the name Tofu for so long that I can't just change to something else now. I've wanted to use the name Ryoku for a while because... Dunno. Came up with it many, many years ago before knowing it actually had a meaning in any language (means "strength" in Japanese) and I often name characters like that when Tofu isn't available. It's cooler and a bit more original than this but oh well.

I still owe the story for my username but I'll wait till tomorrow since it's kinda late.

Edited by Tofu

I'm a ginger/redhead, and in my language it's "Rudy", so i just accepted it and upgraded a bit adding Harry Houdini xD

• Haha 1

I stole some guy's account from an obscure mmo like 13 years ago.

the name was umbrax, so I kept it...

👍

• Haha 1

Alright, as promised, here's my story. A few people here know the story already, but not everyone does. Besides, the ones that do probably don't remember. It's not a big deal, but I like telling my stories with a lot of details.

Back when I was young, I always struggled to pick an online name. I'd use alternate versions of my real name or translate it to other languages and go with that. I eventually came up with the name Ryoku, but it was generally taken so I had to do other versions (I even remember naming myself Ukoyr in Adventure Quest back in the day) but I never really liked any of those versions.

When I was 12 or so, I traveled to Vancouver with my family. My uncle (and godfather) has lived there with his wife since I was 2 years old so we spent a couple of weeks at his place. During that time, we went camping with a bunch of my uncle's friends. Back then, there was A LOT of stuff I didn't like to eat. One morning, one of my uncle's friend asked if I wanted bacon on my egg wrap, as he was about to put cheese and turkey on it. Everyone ate their egg wrap with cheese and turkey. 

I told him to stop because I didn't like cheese, turkey or bacon. I barely even started liking eggs a few months before that trip so the idea of an egg wrap already disgusted me enough. Dude was like "are you for real? You don't like cheese or turkey?" I really didn't. I still don't like turkey! Turns out the egg wrap was really good. He did put cheese on it, even though he promised he didn't, and I didn't notice.

Later that day, they were making sandwiches and my mom went "do you have liverwurst? My son likes liverwurst on his sandwich."

I didn't.

I only tolerated it and my mother insisted I had to eat something other than peanut butter and jelly on my sandwiches. However, the same guy that made the egg wraps started laughing. "You don't like cheese or turkey, but you like liverwurst? You eat weird stuff! I'm gonna call you Tofu!"

I've never had tofu, hence, I don't like tofu. Don't call me Tofu. Fudge you (keeping it rated E).

Not long before we left the camp weekend, everyone went to this river for a swim. I didn't want to go in because the water was way too cold. I'm used to tropical beaches, not Canadian rivers! They all kept telling me to join. They even started cheering my new nickname to get in. Eventually, I jumped in and the same guy that called me Tofu said: "You have now been promoted from Tofu to The Mighty Tofu!"

Suddenly, the nickname Tofu didn't feel that bad. I figured out they weren't calling me Tofu to make fun of me. It was actually a way to show affection. They kept calling me Tofu the rest of the vacation, and my uncle's friend invited me and my sister to spend a day with him and his wife. We went betting on some horse races and then he treated us for dinner and he bought some tofu for us to try. I didn't like it, but he did say it was poorly cooked.

Once I was back home, I went back to my normal life. No one called me Tofu. The whole thing was over until one day I had to come up with a new IGN for... I think it was Mu Online. I spent a while trying to come up with a name until I remembered the nickname. I named myself Tofu and I've always used that name since. When taken, I've used alternatives like The Tofu, Tofoo, The Mighty Tofu... I even went with "if it's taken, I'll just add an X!" Tofux and The Tofux were pretty common names I used at first.

Anywho, that's the story. Lots of unnecessary details, but that's what makes a story fun!

Well, I always liked Vegito. I was just putting stuff together (back on the DBOR Forums) and back then a large portion of the fanbase called Gohan's Unlocked Potential form "Mystic". So I thought Vegito would look cool in Mystic. So Vegito Mystic.

Lavender because I like the name and color. ^.^ 💜

12 hours ago, YuseiFudou97 said:

Just one of my all time favorite characters haha! 😬

spacer.png

Dis boi has got some taste.

As for me, it depends on the name.  Shyruni was a name I invented a long time ago and has stuck with me ever since.  Occa was something I came up with based on the Ocarina, a musical instrument using naming conventions similar to Piccolo. 

I had come up with the name "ExaltedGeico" a while back when I used to take DBOG pretty seriously. Since I took DBOG seriously, instead of reviving my swordsmen "Blancarot," which is literally just a play off of Kakarot-- but that's another story for another time, I was playing DBOG for it's pvp; it's what I enjoyed about the game back then. By the time Open Beta had started, I'd already had tasted just about everything that PvE had to offer-- so the only thing that kept me going was the thirst of dominance within the fields of "Ranked Matchs" or the PvP platform in Korin Village-- which inevitably resulted in my choosing a powerful PvP class: Shadow Knight. When I was in the process of picking the name for my Namekian, I decided that it'd be a good idea for me to name myself after a certain car insurance's mascot; Geico.

A year later, I found out that the mascot's name wasn't actually Geico, it was Martin, but that's besides the point.

Once I set my eyes on that name, I decided to go with it. But that doesn't answer the question of how I came to the name "ExaltedGeico," where did I get the prefix to Geico? Well, at the time I wanted have a really edgy and egocentric name as possible, so I added "Exalted." That's pretty much the gist of how I came up with my display name: ExaltedGeico. 

Nice idea. Even though I must say the story of my name is one I hardly even remember myself, but I will try and translate it down as good as I can, at the moment.

It was somewhere around 2011 when I first found out about Dragon Ball Online— or maybe, that wouldn't be too correct, since I had first heard about it on an old website that goes as far back as the Korean release does. I'd call it DBOCOM's predecessor since it didn't nearly update to the 2011 days of the game at all. But yes, basically I had already discovered it a long time ago (and it was populated by PizzaPieDbo's videos), there was no way for anybody to play it, though. For those who don't know, back in the days, you needed a KSSN to register an account on their servers.

It was only later after the Taiwan server came up that I finally downloaded it one summer morning and immediately tossed myself into the action. At first, I had created a Spiritualist— I had heard something about there being Turtle Hermits and whatnot, so I immediately connected the dots and realized I could have used the Kamehameha and other iconic DBZ techniques. So. I made one and went as far as level 3 before I was like: man, I want to punch things not throw blasts at them...

And so, that was how I created a Martial Artist instead.

Reminder, so far, I had only created characters with... very questionable names. I don't remember them and it's probably for the best.

I was getting addicted and everything. The game was simple in its nature but at the same time, it was my favorite show: Dragon Ball. Hell, I didn't even have a rush for Super Saiyan at first. I was just enjoying the feeling the starter quests were giving me with the whole early Dragon Ball atmosphere. But, by level 20+ I... dropped this character, too. For one simple reason.

The LV UP 33 item was out. You just needed to create a fresh character and wait some hours to get it. I am not sure if you also needed to be level 15 or something to receive it in the mailbox, but yes, I pretty much dropped my other character to boost this one to Level 33. However, this one I decided I wished to be the final. I didn't want to create other characters and I finally wanted to rush those Dragon Balls and get that juicy Super Saiyan transformation.

So, when I had to go ahead and pick a name I carefully wondered... what could I name myself?

There used to be a video on YouTube. An Italian Crane Hermit, MaestroDelVento, who recorded himself using the Super Saiyan skill. I watched that video a while ago and while I was thinking for my final name it immediately snapped into my mind. So, I simply took that Maestro... and the Saiyan from Super Saiyan.

And thus, MaestroSaiyan was born.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2019 at 11:40 PM, MaestroSaiyan said:

It was somewhere around 2011 when I first found out about Dragon Ball Online— or maybe, that wouldn't be too correct, since I had first heard about it on an old website that goes as far back as the Korean release does. I'd call it DBOCOM's predecessor since it didn't nearly update to the 2011 days of the game at all. But yes, basically I had already discovered it a long time ago (and it was populated by PizzaPieDbo's videos), there was no way for anybody to play it, though. For those who don't know, back in the days, you needed a KSSN to register an account on their servers.

It was only later after the Taiwan server came up that I finally downloaded it one summer morning and immediately tossed myself into the action. At first, I had created a Spiritualist— I had heard something about there being Turtle Hermits and whatnot, so I immediately connected the dots and realized I could have used the Kamehameha and other iconic DBZ techniques. So. I made one and went as far as level 3 before I was like: man, I want to punch things not throw blasts at them...

And so, that was how I created a Martial Artist instead.

I can relate so much to this! It's not related to my name, though. I was already going by Tofu online before this. I found out about DBO through... probably YouTube. I found DBOCOM and did my research on how to play the game. I found out about the KSSN thing and even tried getting some online to register myself, but they were all used already.

RIP.

Then, DBO TW came out, but I didn't find out until around the time when the LV UP 33 item was being distributed. I made a Martial Artist and used the item. I then started building towards the energy attacks, because they were cooler and I've always liked the energy aspect of Dragon Ball more. As I played more and more, I found out about the Spiritualist and the Turtle Hermits. I noticed I had made a huge mistake (especially since, at the time, energy Fighters weren't really viable or that good and I had no reset book to fix my skills).

I then started again with a Spiritualist although LV UP 33 was no longer being gifted around. I leveled up all the way to pretty much the same as my Fighter or maybe a few levels further but then I think my PC broke down or something and couldn't continue playing. By the time I tried returning, the game was already dead.

• Like 1

On 5/13/2019 at 8:49 AM, Tofu said:

Then, DBO TW came out, but I didn't find out until around the time when the LV UP 33 item was being distributed. I made a Martial Artist and used the item. I then started building towards the energy attacks, because they were cooler and I've always liked the energy aspect of Dragon Ball more. As I played more and more, I found out about the Spiritualist and the Turtle Hermits. I noticed I had made a huge mistake (especially since, at the time, energy Fighters weren't really viable or that good and I had no reset book to fix my skills).

I then started again with a Spiritualist although LV UP 33 was no longer being gifted around. I leveled up all the way to pretty much the same as my Fighter or maybe a few levels further but then I think my PC broke down or something and couldn't continue playing. By the time I tried returning, the game was already dead.

I know, right? I literally did the same mistake with my LVL 33 character, unfortunately. I honestly already had an idea of MMORPG builds and whatnot, but I didn't literally follow any for this; I didn't see the need until the higher levels came up and I was already an energy fighter. And god, how much did I regret it. However, I went as far as even collecting all seven Dragon Balls (once) to wish for the Super Saiyan skill and I was pretty happy about that.

However. No matter how much I'd try, it was basically impossible for me to enjoy the experience with the low damage and survivability. Therefore, I actually quit the Taiwanese version and decided to bring MaestroSaiyan back on Hong Kong, where I had my best experience yet; and the one my whole screenshot collection video is about.

Oh. And I played as a Turtle Hermit on that one. Definitely smoother for the main character— it's gotta be either that or a Shadow Knight. I wish I'd have been able to play more classes, but sadly the game shut down.